We're Moving to Chicago!

,

Yes, the rumors are true. We'll be moving to Chicago late August/early September! It's all very exciting and nerve-wracking. I'm getting antsy to start packing! And how did we get to this point anyway? 
Let's go back... 

Ian and I were married June of last year when the idea of Ian becoming a professor was still a shelved idea to be brought down "one day." I suspected it would be the path God would lead us down eventually and was surprised to discover (after we were married) that it was just the type of life I would fit into. Being a professor's wife suddenly started making perfect sense to me when I'd never given it a thought before. Not that a young girl could plan that sort of thing. Ian had some mulling over to do about it for himself, of course. He mulled over a lot sooner than I thought it would take him! 

By October we'd weighed the negatives respectfully and had prayed faithfully to the conclusion that it was worth the application to the University of Chicago to pursue our dreams! Ian sought the help of his mentors and I felt so proud of his humility and earnestness through it all. Then it was just waiting after that bit of craziness. We told family so it could begin to sink in. Based on what his mentors had told him, we really didn't have much doubt that Ian would be accepted - which put me in a strange emotional limbo! 

The Master's of the Arts Program in the Humanities (or MAPH) at the University of Chicago is an intense one year program that would give Ian the experience and credentials needed to travel the strange bridge from a Science degree to a Doctorate in Literature. Fortunately, the MAPH program is a great fan of different fields working together - only giving us more assurance that it was going to work out.

We visited the campus in December while Ian had a work conference near Chicago. It was cold, of course. The trees were slumbering and the company was sparse. Yet it seemed right. I knew how hard it would be then to live in the city. I never have before, you know? It's busy and so much less cozy than small town life. However, I know we'll find great warmth in friends that only God could bring to us! He is gracious.

In March, Ian was accepted! I cried instantly. I was so glad for Ian and sad for me. I've never been so happy than where we are now. I feel entirely accepted and supported for who I am by both my church family and my house family (as in - my husband), and I've never felt the beauty of that full comfort before. It's overwhelming. Yet I have no doubts whatsoever that Chicago is where we should go. It's a bittersweet thing, that old "change." I used to love it and now I'm wanting to settle down and have kids! This is crazy stuff happening. It's wild and lovely tied together. 


I couldn't say anything on Facebook though! Which means there are many loved ones I haven't had the chance to tell. We could only talk about it through word of mouth because Ian had to wait until NOW to have told enough of his supporters that he's leaving in order for us to go public! It's been driving me crazy! I couldn't even post our pictures of our campus visits in December and April. Here they are on this blog now though! 

It's going to be quite an adventure. There is a lovely neighborhood called Hyde Park where we'll be staying for a year or two. It's 15 minutes South of the City and just a stroll away from campus. We'll have a grand park to our left and another park coupled with Lake Michigan on the right! I'm so excited to see the trees in bloom and watch the neighborhood come to life for the first time. I'll get to be doing that tomorrow with Ian! We're heading up in the morning to find an apartment. Then we'll know when we'll be moving in more surely and I can begin that packing I feel so antsy for! Ian's classes start the second week of September, so, it's going to be sooner than we can process, I think!

I'm not happy to physically leave my family, my church family, or my beloved best friends. I've never been away from home like this. I know they're not leaving my heart, but I love the physical company of loved ones the best. This is quite sad for me. But I am also excited to experience new things, meet new family members, be blessed by the warmth of new friends, and get a chance to dedicate myself to finishing my novel without the distraction my entire life has afforded me here in Southern Illinois. This will be good. Of course, I know God will have fun things I can't imagine now just waiting for us!

Ian told me something when we first started our relationship. I told him I was scared. (We were very serious about marriage even early on and I'd only played games before that mostly). He said to me,



"The best of adventures start out with a scary first step." 


I don't know where we'll go after Chicago. Ian doesn't know yet what his research interest is. It's a great mystery... So, here's to stepping! 


This is the room of greatness. 

Well, it's where MAPH students hang out with each other and 
talk about deep things I will rarely care to follow. Haha. 




If you'd like to hear the story from Ian's perspective here is the link to his post:
http://psalm453.blogspot.com/2015/07/leaving-alton.html

1 comment:

  1. Our hearts are with you both. Follow your dreams, Be brave! Love you.

    ReplyDelete